Success for University of Birmingham in global rankings
The University of Birmingham has enhanced its position in the 2019 QS World University Rankings and confirmed its status as one of the best research intensive institutions in the world.
The QS World University Rankings look at every university across the globe and measure them against a range of criteria including academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty/student ratio, citations per faculty, international faculty ratio and international student ratio.
The University of Birmingham is placed 79th in the world in the 2019 rankings, an improvement of five places on 2018. This comes as a result of our sector-leading employer reputation, increase in citations per faculty and an increase in the number of international students. Citations is a measure of the impact and quality of research.
The QS World University Rankings are the most commonly used global rankings and are a measure of a university’s global reputation.
Professor Sir David Eastwood, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Birmingham said: “The University of Birmingham is hugely proud of its standing as one of the world’s leading universities. The latest QS ranking attests to our still-growing reputation, the importance and impact of our research, and the truly international experience we offer to our students.”
Birmingham is the first global top 100 and elite Russell Group university to establish a campus in Dubai. The University of Birmingham Dubai opens its doors to students in September, offering degrees taught, examined and accredited to the same recognised high standards as those delivered on its UK campus.
University of Birmingham Dubai Provost Professor Glyn Watson commented: “This year’s performance in the QS rankings is significant, not just for the University of Birmingham, but for Dubai and the UAE, in that it represents a significant milestone in terms of the country’s ambitions to establish itself as a regional centre of excellence for research and higher education provision.
“The value of the QS as a rankings system is that, in addition to using the standard metrics, it also factors in universities’ reputations with the outside world. It tells you which universities global employers and leading academics consider to be the best in the world.”
The University of Birmingham Dubai announced a package of exclusive ‘fully-funded’ scholarships – each worth up to 300,000 AED – for students wishing to study at a world-class university in the heart of Dubai’s International Academic City.
The Chancellor’s Full Scholarship Awards celebrate the inaugural year of the University of Birmingham Dubai and will be offered to applicants achieving exceptional academic results coupled with extra-curricular talent or impact.
Opening its Dubai campus marks the latest phase in the University of Birmingham’s global ambitions and builds on the University’s international teaching activities in Singapore and China, and its extensive international research collaborations.
Following approval by the Dubai Government’s Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA), which is responsible for the growth and quality of education, the University of Birmingham Dubai will provide opportunities for students to study on a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Degrees at the University of Birmingham Dubai will be taught, examined and accredited to the same recognised high standards as those delivered on the University’s UK campus in Birmingham. All study programmes carry the approval by the Dubai Government’s Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA).
Visit the University of Birmingham Dubai website: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/index.aspx
For more information, please contact: Samantha Dancy, Footstep Communications on 055 5711006, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the University of Birmingham
- The University of Birmingham is ranked amongst the world’s top 100 institutions. Its work brings people from across the world to Birmingham, including researchers, teachers and more than 6,500 international students from over 150 countries. Its research ideas are commercialised by a trading subsidiary, University of Birmingham Enterprise.
- The University of Birmingham Dubai is located in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), a leading international education hub with 26 universities.
- Highly-experienced academic staff from the University of Birmingham’s home campus will travel to Dubai to teach courses to the same standards delivered on our Edgbaston campus. They will work with Dubai-based academic staff recruited for their expert subject understanding and teaching experience.
- Initially, Dubai students will have a choice of study areas including Business, Economics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Primary and Secondary Teacher Education, with additional programmes offered later.
- The University of Birmingham was awarded a Gold rating in the 2016/17 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). Student satisfaction with teaching quality and progression of graduates to highly skilled employment / further study were classed as ‘outstanding’.